IEEE CIS Technical Committee on Cognitive and Developmental Systems
(previously named TC on Autonomous Mental Development)
The purpose of the CDSTC is to promote the research, education and outreach about understanding the mechanisms of development and acquisition of sensorimotor, cognitive and social structures in machines and animals. It focuses in particular on computational and robotic modeling of cognitive and developmental systems to achieve four goals:
- Building machines capable of life-long adaptation and interaction with the physical and social world
- Building machines that can model and recognise cognitive characteristics relevant to development in their human collaborators, and act accordingly to assist human activities
- Using machines as tools to better understand human and animal development and cognition
- Using machines to support human learning and development
Thus, the TC covers interdisciplinary approaches and methods from developmental and cognitive robotics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, connectionnist modelling, psychology, linguistics, neuroscience, cognitive sciences and the physics of complex adaptive systems.
Examples of covered topics include the computational modeling of body morphogenesis, of sensorimotor and social development, the acquisition and functioning of cognitive and linguistic structures at the level of individuals or populations, and the study of interactions between brain, body and environment at evolutionary-developmental scales.
In addition, the CDSTC’s mission includes:
- Identification of critical trends of research and applications in cognitive and developmental systems.
- Support to the IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems, including promotion of the journal and nomination of best papers.
- Organisation of seminars/workshops/conferences/journal special issues/special sessions/tutorials in the area of cognitive and developmental systems.
- Discussing and identifying opportunities for awards and membership elevation for members of the cognitive and developmental systems community.
- Supervision of activities with regard to efforts in coming up with standards for cognitive and developmental systems.
University of New South Wales
- 2004, 2005: Juyang (John) Weng (Founding Chair), Michigan State University
- 2006, 2007: Brian Scassellati, Yale University
- 2007, 2008, 2009: Zhengyou Zhang, Microsoft Research
- 2010, 2011: Minoru Asada, Osaka University
- 2012, 2013: Angelo Cangelosi, Plymouth University
- 2014: Matt Schlesinger, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, US
- 2015, 2016: Pierre-Yves Oudeyer, Inria, France
CDS Task Forces and Members
- Action and Perception
- Developmental Psychology
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Language and Cognition
- Evolutionary-Developmental Systems and Robotics
- Web Presence
- Cognitive and Developmental Systems Newsletter
- ICDL-Epirob conference
IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems (previously named IEEE Trans. on Autonomous Mental Development)
- The first issue of IEEE TAMD was published in May 2009, available here.
- Online submission website is located at http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/tamd-ieee .
- To prepare submissions, Authors are invited to follow the guidelines described in Information for Authors.
- Table of Contents, Abstracts, Links, and Authors’ Emails of published papers
Joint IEEE ICDL-EpiRob Conference (Since 2011)
ICDL-Epirob 2015, Providence, US,
ICDL-EpiRob 2014, Genoa, Italy, November 7-9, 2014
ICDL-EpiRob 2013, Osaka, Japan, August 18-22, 2013
ICDL-EpiRob 2012, San Diego, USA, November 7-9, 2012
ICDL-EpiRob 2011, Frankfurt, Germany, August 24-27, 2011
International Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL, 2000-2010)
ICDL 2010, Ann Arbor MI, USA, August 18-21, 2010
ICDL 2009, Shanghai,
ICDL 2008, Monterey CA, USA, August 9-12, 2008
ICDL 2007, Imperial College London, UK, July 11-13, 2007
ICDL 2006, Bloominton IN, USA, May 31 - June 3, 2006
ICDL 2005, Osaka, Japan, July 19-21, 2005
ICDL 2004, San Diego CA, USA, October 20-22, 2004
ICDL 2002, Cambridge MA, USA, June 12-15, 2002
WDL 2000, Est Lansing MI, USA, April 5-7, 2000
International Conference on Epigenetic Robotics (EpiRob, 2001-2010)
EpiRob 2010, Orenas Slott, Sweden, Proceedings
EpiRob 2009, Venice, Italy, Proceedings
EpiRob 2008, University of Sussex, UK Proceedings
EpiRob 2007, Rutgers, Piscataway, New Jersey, US Proceedings
EpiRob 2006, Paris, France Proceedings
EpiRob 2005, Nara, Japan Proceedings
EpiRob 2004, Genoa, Italy Proceedings
EpiRob 2003, Boston, MA, USA Proceedings
EpiRob 2002, Edinburgh, Scotland Proceedings
EpiRob 2001, Lund, Sweden Proceedings